Monday, October 19, 2009

Use Me for Your Fame!

I have arrived safely to Japan! :) Thank you to everyone who came out to send me out in prayer! I was so touched by all your cards, letters, goodie bags, hugs, and presence! :D It really gave me such encouragement and I'm so blessed to have all of you in my life. I read all of the letters on the plane and surprisingly, I smiled more than cried. DOMO ARIGATOU. <3


The plane ride was a breeze b/c I started talking to the guy next to me and I totally forgot I was even on a plane! Haha. God really answered my prayers... even down to that! I believe this guy was the first one God wanted me to minister to. His name is Tommy and he's 33 years old- he was going on a business trip to Japan for the first time. He works with all Japanese people and he's the only Korean. He went to church when he was younger but he stopped going... for whatever reason (I didn't ask). When I told him I was going for a one year mission trip through Sarang church, he knew about Sarang! He was very talkative and he had a lot to say... very cultured. My heart really went out to him... he's been married for 10 years and has a 3 year old son... but their whole family doesn't believe- that's three souls. Please pray for him. I do not know him THAT well and I may never see him again (most likely the case) but I really want to pray that God will put people in His life to lead him and his family to Christ. I believe that our conversation stirred something in his heart... let's pray that God would do the rest!


I slept like 30 minutes the night before my flight b/c Tae recommended it. However, when I got on the plane, I thought I was going to knock out... but i couldn't. I stayed up writing in my journal and before I knew it, it was already 4 hours into the flight... so I took a 3 hour nap. :) We got to Narita earlier than expected... even though we left a little late. Praise God! Everything went smoothly and there were no problems! God is so good. I got to the bus stop and I learned my first lesson: I was waiting for the bus at 4:45PM but I was so delirious that I didn't translate the international time correctly. So it was 15:45 and I stood in the line but I was actually one hour early... cuz it was supposed to be 16:45PM. -_- So I had to sit on the benches for an hour. :( HAHA. Then I took a 2.5 hour bus ride from Narita to Tokorozawa City. Cho sensei met me there and I got to his place, ate dinner, unpacked, and knocked out at 12:08AM. There is a train station RIGHT next to his house so I hear/feel it every time. Surprisingly, I only woke up once during the night and opened my eyes at 7:28AM- no alarm needed! :) It's only b/c it's the first night though...



Today I made french toast for breakfast and rode a bike around the city with Cho sensei. It's been ages since I rode a bike and the sidewalks here are so narrow... it's kinda scary. I crashed into a construction area. -_- It's okay no one was hurt... except my pride was kinda hurt. On the way there, I biked past two mormon guys on their bike. It hit me: WE ARE IN A SPIRITUAL BATTLE FOR SOULS! I prayed for them and I got encouraged to spread the gospel with more passion! After 20 minutes of biking on a bike that has squeaky brakes, we finally arrived at the JCCC office so that I could figure out my visa stuff. I'm applying for a status change from tourist --> missionary and if it works out (50/50 chance) then I don't have to go out to Korea after 3 months. :D Please pray that God's will will be carried forth! Then after we got back to the house, he made me do my first mission: find the 100yen shop by myself. He pointed me in a general direction and told me to find it and then come home by myself. I was kinda scared but I knew that God would guide me. So I went on my way... spent alone time singing praise songs and praying for buildings, random people, and the nation. It's crazy how powerful prayer walking can be! I really felt so much joy while walking around. :) Even if I'm not able to share with words, I want to walk around with a smile on my face! I got to the hakuyen shop and I was so happy- there were so many cute things but I couldn't buy them all. -_- Japan is perfect for me... we both love cute things. *sigh. I then walked back home all by myself and found my way home! :) Thank you Jesus!!! On the way home, I realized I missed so many things... the lots full of bikes & the vending machines. mmm. I saw a church and I prayed that God will use it mightily in this city... there are only a FEW churches in Japan so it was a rare sight. Please pray that it will be able to reach a lot of people in the neighborhood.


My first FULL day is almost over. I have language school tomorrow starting at 9AM but I have to leave the house by 7AM so that I can be in morning rush hour! >.<


Whenever I get sad or homesick, this is the picture I will look at. It's my network... kinda like the verizon commercial except mine's better. :) Take a good look... these are my cloud of witnesses, cheerleaders, prayer warriors, fellow soldiers on the battlefield, brothers and sisters in Christ! <3

Prayer requests:
1) Cho sensei & his wife: God will continue to give them strength and hope to carry on. Cho sensei's back is not good so please pray for HEALING!
2) As I start language school, I will be passionate about studying! I hope to learn fast!
3) Jet lag. I won't be tired or get sick (swine flu is going around) -_-
4) I will be prayerful in everything I do
5) Be proactive in meeting new people and spreading the gospel!
6) Spiritual, physical, emotional protection

8 comments:

  1. wooo! go iris! seeing all the pictures brings back a lot of memories. glad to hear you made it to japan safe and sound. hope you get adjusted quickly to life in japan. we're praying for you!! :)

    -robert

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha i still remember cho sensei's house. although God gave me a heart for thailand, japan will always have that special place in my heart. i'm so glad to hear about how you're there doing God's work already! hit the ground running at 100 mph, that's iris for ya =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It's okay no one was hurt...except my pride was kinda hurt."

    hahah...
    i know what you mean about the power of prayer walking. hope you get to prayer walk through all of japan one day.

    -christine j. wang

    ReplyDelete
  4. iris- i wasn't in that picture but i'm in your cloud of witnesses cheering you on too. go bruin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Iris! Im so glad to hear you had such a great first day :) Aww I remember whenever I skyped with Tae, I would hear the trains pass by too, and it hurt my ears :( hahaha. Hopefully you'll get used to it soon :) I'll be praying for you!! (Japan is seriously so cute! haha)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Iris! I wasn't able to go to the airport but I'm glad I at least got to pray for you and give you my letter... :) I'm praying for you! Keep seeking after God's own heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful entry. I really felt your heart, and vicariously lived through your day. Stay strong and optimistic just as you are now! I will be praying for you. (: <3 And your verizon network picture makes me cry =') Such an awesome picture. I'm sorry I wasn't there, but I was there in spirit!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. IRis!!!! i'm so so so glad that you got there safely! and i can't believe you waited at the bus stop for an hr!!! hahah aww. be strong and courageous!! God is holding your hand and He is leading you.. walking right besides to you :)i'm so encouraged by your optimism, passion, and openness to however way God may lead. i'm cheering for you, love! <3

    ReplyDelete