Saturday, October 24, 2009

First Sunday Service in 日本

I was awaiting the day that I could see the faces of those that I have been praying for... and today was that day. :)

On Saturday morning, Cho sensei and I left our house at 6AM so that we can make it to Hiratsuka in time for our 9AM morning prayer at Shonan Daira!!! :D I love the view from there. We prayed/shared for like 2 hours. It was very cold... the wind was like piercing. -_- Praise God I didn't get sick or that would've been bad.

I remembered this view from 3 years ago... how could you not?! It's unforgettable. Every Saturday there is prayer here... we pray for revival in Japan! As you can tell from the pictures... it was really gloomy and cold. -_- My two (least) favorite. :( We did our morning exercises as usual... Cho sensei style. But he did get rid of the HO HO HA HA... praise the Lord!



Takahashi sensei was Cho sensei's workout partner. HAHA. This looks like they're making a heart. :) A bug (that looks like a leaf) landed on Cho sensei's bag... he then transferred it to his arm as if it were his pet. -_-; Oh Cho sensei... that silly man.


I'll take better pictures of the surrounding areas on a less foggy day. You can see the ocean, Mt. Fuji, and all of Hiratsuka. One thing I can't see... America. :*(


I'm on top of the tower... faking a smile b/c it was too cold to even try. These were the men who attended... Uta san bought us tea. It comes out HOT from the machines even though they're in cans! sugoi ne.


Lunch was amazing... ramen. My favorite Japanese food- yes, even over sushi (sorry). It was tonkotsu (pork). You order the ramen from a machine, you pay the machine, and you get the ticket and give it to the waitress. -_- Toppings and stuff are not included... you have to add money for more toppings. :( SOOOOOOOO good... esp. on a cold day! mmm good.


Takahashi sensei and Uta san. :) Shonan Grace Chapel: my new church for the year! What a blessing it will be. Can't wait!


So I have to be in Hiratsuka from Saturday to Sunday (sometimes Friday to Monday morning) so I have a room upstairs. I have to sleep by myself in that church. -_- Yesterday was my first day and I was so scared!!! I almost had a heart attack. One incident: the doorbell rang. I thought I was all alone... but thank goodness the sensei was there! I called my neighbor, Eiko san, to come over cuz I got scared! :( I really prayed to God for someone to invite me to their house... but I think God wanted to break me. I got kinda discouraged thinking, "God, why did you put me in this situation? I'm so scared I can't even sleep!" Then I realized: when you pray for faith and dependency in God, He doesn't just give it to you... He gives you opportunities to be faithful and to be dependent. I vchatted with Kasey (God provided her for that time) until 10PM and then prayed a very detailed prayer before I went to sleep. Thank God that He answers our prayers because I was alive in the morning!!! :)


The deacon of the church presiding over the service! Eiko san and the children during their children service. :D They do little workbooks on Bible stories.


So today was my first day at church and it was wonderful! Their setup is very similar to ours and they sang some songs in English... well the only parts were like "God bless you" and "Amen" but still, I could sing along since I'm learning hiragana and katakana. I still don't understand 100% but it's coming along!

Sunday schedule:
9:15-10AM Junior High/High School service (upstairs)
10-11:30AM 1st Service (main chapel)
11:45AM-1:30PM Lunch
1:45-4:30PM Rest
5-6PM 2nd Service (main chapel) - mostly for young adults and those who have work during the day
6:46-8:30PM train back to Tokorozawa
8:35-8:55PM walk home
11PM sleep

After service today four of us went to eat lunch! :) It was really good. The place was called "Avantgarde Cafe" and they served french food! MMM. Specialties: quiche + salad + beef stew w/ bread + pasta. The place was super cute... they had like a store (looked like pottery barn+anthropologie) on the first floor and the second floor was the cafe. Meet my new friends: Tamaki chan, Eiko san, Miyuki san! (Please pray for these faces that they will be used to usher in revival in Japan) They were so nice and we had a good time! Thank you God for surrounding me with such great people already! God is good.



Just finished >> The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer [a MUST READ for every Christian!]
Here are some quotes:

"Let a man be forced into making a choice between God and money, between God and men, between God and personal ambition, God and self, God and human love, and God will take second place every time."

"Everything is safe which we commit to Him, and nothing is really safe which is not so committed."

"Let any man turn to God in earnest, let him begin to exercise himself unto godliness, let him seek to develop his power of spiritual receptivity by trust and obedience and humility, and the results will exceed anything he may have hope in his leaner and weaker days."

"Sometimes the best way to see a thing is to look at its opposite."

"God wants the whole person and He will not rest till He gets us in entirety."

"In himself, nothing; in God, everything."

"It is not what a man does that determines whether his work is sacred or secular, it is why he does it. The motive is everything."

Currently reading >> Disciplines of a Godly Woman by Barbara Hughes
*both compliments of Daniel A. Kim :) I'm getting so blessed by them... thank you so much!



The best source of encouragement comes from the Bible, hands down. But sometimes, other things can bring a smile to our faces... this weekend it was pick up lines. Corny/cheesy, you may say, but still so cute.


Jevin Jim's pick up lines via AIM:
1) You can stand next to me as long as you don't talk about the heat.
2) You look sad and lonely. How bout a little vitamin ME.

3) I think i just caught myself from falling cus your so smooth ;]

4) What time do you have to get back to heaven.

5) KNOCK KNOCK? Who's there? Anita. Anita who? Anita see you soon.


Peter Cheong's pick up lines via Skype:

1) You're like a dictionary... you add meaning to my life.

2) Your eyes are bluer than the Atlantic Ocean and baby, I'm all lost at sea.

3) Do you have a map? B/c honey, I keep getting lost in your eyes.

4) Do you have a Bandaid? I just scraped my knees falling for you.

5) The Word says give drink to those who are thirsty and feed those who are hungry... so how about dinner?

6) Did the sun come up or did you just smile at me?


My all-time favorites:

1) Life without you would be like a broken pencil... pointless.

2) Can you empty your pockets? I think you stole my heart.


This was not a pick up line... but it made me smile! :) Anonymous for his protection... and no it's not my secret crush (not that I even have one). -_-; I wish... cuz I've been seeing way more couples on the streets/train stations of Japan lately... or maybe I'm just noticing it more cuz I'm subconsciously feeling lonely. HAHAHA no... it's definitely b/c it's almost the Holidays. :(


Anonymous: should i just keep all the letters i write and give them to you when you return? like the notebook or something

*if this really did happen... that would be THE CUTEST thing. only HRs think this way...

5 comments:

  1. i like the power point projection style hahaha. seems like you are doing well! church alone on the weekends, i believe, is going to be one of your best moments in japan. dont know why

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm keeping up with all your entries Iris! Stay optimistic and don't get discouraged! Your verizon team is praying for you. and btw, I read that tozer book too. AWESOME book. (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGGGGGG
    WE ATE AT THE RAMEN PLACE. AND I THINK I SAW AVANTGARDE BEFORE.
    AND SHONAN DAIRA.
    I HAD A DREAM I WAS BACK UP THERE AGAIN
    AND YES IM HOLDING DOWN SHIFT
    BECAUSE IM EXCITED
    TAKAHASHI SENSEI
    AND SHONAN
    WE SLEPT IN THAT SAME ROOM
    IT RANDOMLY SMELLS LIKE PEE

    I MISS JAPAN

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW I remember eating in Japan like two years ago winter and your pictures just reminded me. Awesome food. I had to skim because im hardcore studying for my LS3 Exam but I will read this book you recommend. When I finish this exam i'll read more carefully lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Iris!! I teared up looking through your photos...I didn't realize how much I missed Japan! Please continue to do God's work! I'm praying for you! :]

    ReplyDelete