Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Don't Lose HOPE!

The start of this week was pretty rough. I was able to do a lot of introspection and I wrestled with God on a particular prayer topic of mine and He answered. To be completely honest, God's answer wasn't what I wanted to hear but I definitely needed to hear it. I was doing some "life-cleaning" and I realized that God had different plans for me in one (very important) department of my life. I was kinda discouraged and of course that affected my mood. However, I found so much hope in God! Seriously, before asking God for more hope, I was seriously so focused on myself and how I was feeling. I asked myself, "Iris you know you're being really selfish right now. It's not about you... why are you making it about you? Trust in God." Yes, I was moping around for maybe an hour tops but after praying for strength to overcome, God filled my heart with so much joy. This was probably the lowest I've felt since I've been here and yet God still supplied me with His hope. This matter that I was praying about was no simple thing and yet God assured me that He only had the best in store for me. It's hard to find hope sometimes, but if our hope is in the ultimate Hope then I think nothing can bring us down. It was just one of those days I had to remind myself that God > my circumstances.

Psalm 31:24
Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the LORD.

Psalm 33:20
We wait in hope for the LORD; he is our help and our shield.

Psalm 39:7
But now, Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in you.

Psalm 147:11
the LORD delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love.

Romans 8:24-25
For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.


It's crazy but there are so many times in Japan when I find myself smiling for no reason! I start smiling out of no where- on the train while holding onto the handle rings, walking to/from the train station, looking up at the sky... I never did this in America! Smiling affects your outlook and it really gives you a positive energy/spirit. It makes you look and feel good. :) We should all learn to smile more! If you can't think of a reason to smile, just think: Jesus loves you! That's something we should all smile about.

My friends and I love to study, talk, and eat together... it's what we do best. Japanese version of Denny's... cheap + good food = Cafe Gusto.

Japanese cheesecake = light and spongy... doesn't make your arteries feel clogged. But of course, it's not NY style.

Japan doesn't celebrate Christmas in the way it should be celebrated (Jesus is the reason for the season), but they sure do love lights, trees, Santa Claus, cards, presents, concerts and all the secular things that come with it. In Japan, Christmas is not a national holiday... so people go to work. -_- The funnier part is that the 23rd is the Emperor of Japan's birthday so they have it off. Does someone see the irony? In Japan, emperor > Jesus... at least for now. :***( Japan needs a lot of prayer...

Last week I got to go to Ebisu to see the Christmas decorations... it was very nicely done. I'm sure you saw my FB pictures. :) I went with some of my oppa's church people and they were so adorable! Most of them are from Indonesia and Nepal and they're here to work. Their story of how they started going out to church is so crazy... they always had to pass by the church b/c it was on their way to the train station and one day decided to check it out. WOW. God's sovereignty, timing, providence is truly amazing. I cannot even try to describe or understand it... it is what it is. But yeah, when they smile they truly look like angels- so pure, innocent, and genuine. I'm glad I went... good view, good pictures, and good company. The only bad thing was that there were couples EVERYWHERE... couple central, seriously. -_-;





WEEKEND EVENTS:

Rainbow Club is our church's park outreach held once a month. This week 2 new boys came and got to hear about Jesus for the first time! Praise God! We tried to do bubbles but it failed. -_- It's okay because the boys still had fun and more importantly they learned about Christ. Please pray that God will work in the hearts of the two boys...

Teru-chan is the child that makes me want to have a child... so cute I want to steal him and put him in my pocket. ^_^*



The two boys on the top right are the ones you need to pray for! :)

This past Sunday our church fellowship was going to a みかん a.k.a. mikan (tangerine) grove! We got to pick tangerines off of the trees and eat them. It was so good! :) Each tree had a different flavor (I know, who knew?) and so we had to go around and taste each one. HAHA. Back in the States, I went cherry picking but tangerines were a first! It was super cold but still very fun. I love my church!


I want to write more but my eyes won't let me. -_- I'm feeling super tired (and it's only 10:30PM). It's been a long day... I'm feeling drained. But it's okay because I am not relying on my own strength, power, and might to get me through the day! :) Please pray for my upper back/neck... it's still hurting. I think it might be inflamed. :(

I will leave you with something SWEET... .
It tastes EVEN BETTER than it looks: I know what you're thinking, "How is that even possible?"

Seriously, why do Japanese cakes have to be soooo good? I'm not a cake lover but here, it's not too sweet and super delicious. It melts in your mouth. The cream is so light and fluffy- unlike freakin America where you feel like you are eating straight up lard. -_- This little roll cost 1,200 yen or $13 (round up cuz the $ is weak). 5 people + 1 fruit roll cake = cravings satisfied.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unless the LORD builds the house,
its builders labor in vain.
Unless the LORD watches over the city,
the watchmen stand guard in vain.
Psalm 127:1

4 comments:

  1. dang it cake.

    i know that park. THATS WHERE WE PLAYED SOCCER!

    glad to hear youre still learning on a daily basis. i have to admit ive been lacking in prayer for you and the people of japan. and for my heart for japan as well. if you do get a chance, pray that i can pray. because i need some life-cleansing.

    gambatte iris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea how but I knew that mikan meant tangerine... -_-
    Iris! You seem like you're having so much fun!! I really want to visit Japan sometime in the future... If you're still there, would you like to show me around? :)
    Gambatte! Fighting!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ano koen natsukashii!!
    teru-chan mo okiku nattashi
    i really miss that place and everyone there
    it seems like you're doing great, iris
    i feel so relieved(i don't know why) and blessed every time i read your posts
    God is truly amazing!
    and your praise reports from the previous post were super awesome to hear
    hallelujah, praise God!! hahah
    you're always in our prayers, iris
    ganbare~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that park! and Rainbow Club! :D I LOVE TERU-CHAN!! Is he still hazukashi??

    Wow, Iris, I'm so encouraged to see you persevering and devoting yourself to prayer even when you're down :]

    ReplyDelete